So since the last entry I have left Vancouver and moved on to the Whistler Ski Resort, which is about 3 hours up the road... Although 3 hours does not seem like much, this definitely feels like the first significant 'step' I have taken in my traveling. And if the size of the 'step' is proportionate to the amount of opposing doubt, then this is probably going to be the biggest step I am going to make while over in Canada.
Just to fill you in... I had already sorted out a job in the Four Seasons Hotel in Whistler before coming to Canada. They held interviews in London and I was lucky(ish) enough to get a housekeeping job. Before coming over to Canada, I assumed that I would be sick of Vancouver after 5 weeks and be itching to move on to somewhere more permanent. But that really was not the case. It was friends I made in Vancouver who made it so very hard to move on. I apologise if that sounds sickly, but it is the truth; I miss you guys such a lot and really appreciate how easy you made it for me to settle down in Vancouver.
Right, enough of the soppy stuff. Whistler, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, is essentially Narnia with more Australians. I am still half-expecting Mr Tumnus to emerge from behind a tree clasping a can of Fosters*. It really is a beautiful place; the looming mountains surrounding the village and snow-covered fir trees refuse to be smothered by the large amount of commercialism. It is refreshing that the town doesn't need to succumb to the tourists and become tacky, there is so much natural beauty here already that twinkling fairy lights just wouldn't add anything.
As I have never skied or snowboarded before, moving to Whistler for 5 months seems a little strange - especially as the majority of people who work in Whistler for the season come solely for the winter sports. When meeting people for the first time, most ask "Are you a skier or a snowboarder?". It sounds a bit pathetic to say "um, neither, although a few years ago it was a bit snowy and we got the sledge out of the loft". So at the moment I feel a bit irrelevant... like a guy who has never watched Star Trek turning up at a Star Trek Convention and just wandering around aimlessly, making small talk about the weather and the free buffet but subtly trying to direct all conversation away from the subject of Star Trek.
That said, I did have my first skiing lesson the other day and by the end of it I could do a 'trick'! Well, I call it a trick, I'm not sure if anyone else would - Imagine skiing down a hill in a straight line and then suddenly moving your legs so that you are skiing at a 45' angle to the right instead. And then after that, continuing to ski down the hill in a straight line. I think the pros call it a 'turn' or something, but I'm not really into all that technical stuff! Anyway, I can't deny it, the lesson was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the liberating feeling of drifting down the slope and pulling some 'turns' in front of the ladies! I hope that in a few weeks time, I will be into skiing as much as everyone else here.
Apart from skiing and snowboarding, and talking about skiing and snowboarding, many of the folks in Whistler like to drink lots of alcohol and then talk about skiing and snowboarding in a louder voice. This was illustrated the other night when a hippy Australian in a bar shouted "Who wants to get drunk?" over the PA system. The general consensus clearly seemed to be "yes, we would like to get drunk". There were a few cautious punters who shouted "yes, but in moderation" and a few people who didn't bother shouting back because it was a waste of energy which could have otherwise been spent lifting a beer. It is unfair to say that Whistler is one big binge-fest - there are a lot of people who don't have any interest in drinking - but going out partying every night seems to be the norm. I don't have a problem with this, but I guess after 3 years of university, I just can't be bothered with it all the time.
Something I do adore about Whistler is the atmosphere and general buzz about the place. It is hard to explain, but as a general point, many of the people who live in cities are there because they were born there, or work there, or have connections there - but in Whistler the people here want to be here. And as a result there is a general positive attitude around the place and an excitement that only occurs when people are deeply passionate where they are and what they are doing.
So at the moment, I am desperately trying to adjust to the way of life up here and get into the 'Spirit of Whistler' (as the locals call it). I think this will just take time, although I have a funny feeling that to fully appreciate the Whistler Spirit, I may just have to pour it into a glass and down it in one. Only time will tell whether I am able to do that or not...
I know that was a bit of a confused blog entry. I hope it didn't sound too negative, because that isn't how I feel at all; I am very fond of this place. I guess I am just trying to thrash out my thoughts and feelings and arrive at some kind of conclusion, but have failed to do so!
Anyway, photos of my last week in Vancouver can be found at: http://picasaweb.google.com/chrischivers/TheFifthWeek
And photos of my first week in Whistler can be found at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chrischivers/TheSixthWeek
Hope you are all well and just in case I don't post another entry for a while, have a lovely Christmas!
Chris
* I am unsure if Mr Tumnus has hoofs or hands - can someone let me know please as this will affect whether he can hold a can of Fosters. Thanks.

1 comment:
all of the australians here in steamboat maintain that they, australians in general, don't drink fosters. but then they also maintain that we brits only drink warm lager. So my jury is still out. Glad to hear you are getting into the skiing...I guarantee you'll have days that you are itching to go ski :D
Post a Comment